Church and PCC Action
Moving towards Net Zero
Buildings, energy & water
- Review the fuels you use, is it the most environmentally friendly that you can use?
- Seek inspiration from Operation Noah on how you can make your church more eco-friendly
- Consider registering as an Eco Church
- Check out the Eco Church resources
- Review your heating - do you have double glazing to make your heating efficient? Is your heating method efficient and environmentally friendly? Share your experience and knowledge with others
- Review the type of lighting that you use, think of using LED lighting
- Review the use of solar panels as a renewable source of energy - for inspiration and examples of good practice and successful installations on listed buildings see Churchcare.
Land & green space
Meetings, hospitality, food & waste
- Ten Commandments of food
- Be conscious of your waste – try not to over-cater for meetings
- Compost your food waste
- Be conscious of your carbon footprint – what transport routes are you using? Can you car share or take public transport for meetings, worship and events?
- Be conscious of your recycling – do you need paper copies of notes for your meeting? If you do are you recycling these? Conduct a 'bin inventory' or follow The Rubbish Diet
- Think about whether your materials are ethically sourced - perhaps you should look into only using Fair Trade products?
Local & global communities
- Create an ‘Events Board’ to raise awareness in the local communities of current environmental issues
- Invite someone to share their stories as part of your worship or church meetings. For example – create a special ‘Creation Sunday’ Service with a guest speaker
Worship, liturgy, theology & teaching