Churchwardens are the Bishop’s lay officers responsible directly to her for the life and work of the church in the parish. Responsibilities laid upon them from time to time by the Bishop, or by the Archdeacon and the Area Dean, include ensuring the maintenance of the building, arranging for services to be taken in an interregnum and acting as ex-officio members of the PCC.
The appointment of Churchwardens is governed by the Churchwardens Measure 2001.
Please browse the links on the right hand side of this page to find documents designed to help and support churchwardens. There is a new Churchwarden Handbook coming soon to replace these documents - watch this space.
Training for New Churchwardens
Training will be offered in July 2024 across all the archdeaconries.
- Archdeacons' Visitation News
- You can order the 2024 Churchwardens Yearbook or the 2023 copy at a reduced price here.
- Risk Management Guides for Churches - from Ecclesiastical Insurance
- Church Records and Archives - guidance for incumbents and churchwardens
- Churchwardens Handbook
- The Churchwarden: visits and inspections
- Declaration and details form
- Archdeacons' visitation certificate and declaration
Maintenance Booker is a website that gives churches a straightforward way of arranging for companies with the right experience and qualifications to carry out many routine repairs and inspections and help keep the building in good order before small issues become larger problems. Using this website, churches can book gutter clearance and repairs, lightning protection inspection, tree surveys and maintenance as well as asbestos surveys and removal. More services will be added as time goes on, such as stonework and lime mortaring, bat surveys, and grounds and graveyard maintenance.
Resources from past training sessions
2019: Changed Lives – Serving Together in our local communities
- Locally grown ministry – helping it grow handout
- Growing Faith - reaching children and young people were they are
- Telling your story better
- Resourcing the Frontline – effective parish admin especially in a vacancy
- Staying spiritually healthy in the midst of it all
- Changed Churches, Changing Lives - DAC handout
- Encouraging generosity in your church
- Giving by mobile phone
- Missional Learning Communities - outline
- Missional Learning Communities - a deeper look