The Diocese of Canterbury has 105 Schools and Academies that it supports. Each of these has a Governing Body made up of dedicated and committed volunteers that support and challenge their school or academy to provide the best possible education for the children of their community.
All Governors have three key roles:
- Ensuring clarity of vision, ethos and strategic direction
- Holding the Headteacher to account for the educational performance of the school and its pupils, and the performance management of staff
- Overseeing the financial performance of the school and making sure its money is well spent.
Who to contact?
- Appointments and Reappointments of Foundation Governors
- Notification of resignations
Sarah Buchan firstname.lastname@example.org
- Concerns, queries or questions about Governance, Instrument of Government, supplemental agreements or training for governors.
- Resignation of Chairs of Governors or Headteachers.
- Headteacher appointment processes.
Rebecca Swansbury email@example.com
We offer training to governors focusing on core functions but within the context of a church school or academy environment. This is open to any governor serving our schools or academies regardless of their position. For more information, please see our training directory.
The Canterbury Diocesan Board of Education has a commitment to recruit a diverse range of foundation governors who are committed to upholding the Christian foundation of the school.
For more information on becoming a Foundation Governor in a Church of England School please see our leaflet.
Governor support documents
- The role of a Foundation Governor
- Ex -Offico Foundation Governor appointment guidance
- Governor monitoring form - example (Word format)
Maintained VC/VA Church of England Schools
- Terms of reference for Christian Distinctiveness Committee - these terms of reference are intended for use by all maintained schools within the diocese. They are designed to support Governors' understanding of their role in upholding the distinctive foundation of their school and living out the schools theological rooted Christian vision.
- Christian Distinctiveness points to add to Governing Board Terms of Reference
- Conversation Guidance – Meeting a New Foundation Governor (Maintained Schools)
Flow diagrams for appointing or reappointing foundation governors in Church of England maintained schools
- DBE nominee or DBE with PCC nominee
- DBE nominee
- PCC nominee
- Archdeacon Nominee
- DBE nominee reappointment
- DBE nominee or DBE with PCC nominee reappointment
- PCC nominee reappointment